Friday, December 17, 2010

The best mysql database diff tool

As an expert in searching for the easiest ways of doing things without stressing oneself up, every now and then, I am assigned a task to perform with a "lazy" tool I know. Today, I was ready to go home when a fellow developer asked me to find him a database diff tool for mysql which will compare 2 databases and show only differences. He initially told me if I could do it on windows since I am a Microsoft disciple. I will be O.K on Ubuntu.

I have always said that software development is about meeting deadlines and Windows OSes make me meet crazy deadlines like crazy. I googled the search term, got this mysqldiff,  used it in  a customised wamp installation for Ubuntu on two databases. Log in failed several times. I migrated to my wamp. It was great but it failed to show the exact data which represent the difference. It just replaces the content of the old database with the new one.
That was no my task. I googled again and got toad for mysql. I am currently on Windows XP(Work machine - I use Windows 7 on my HP laptop) but it was not compatible with it. All I had to do is search again. After hours of search, I came across PhpMyDiff, googles great tool for determining mysql database difference. I installed it in Wamp, used it and it did what I wanted. But not exactly what I wanted.
I needed the SQL INSERT SCRIPT which represent the difference in the databases. The best tool I have seen so far is SQLYOG. It did exactly what I wanted. I was glad I could get such tools online.

No comments:

Post a Comment